ALL skin types need this “All Rounder”!
Niacinamide is a versatile nutrient that works well on any skin type and helps with a lot of skin concerns. This water-soluble vitamin, also known as nicotinamide, is the active form of niacin (vitamin B3 or nicotinic acid). Niacinamide is well-tolerated even by sensitive and rosacea-prone skin types and is compatible with any other skincare ingredients. In skincare formulations, it is known to be one of the most stable and non-irritating active ingredients.
Benefits of niacinamide in skincare
Niacinamide is a vitamin that is not synthesised in the human body, so it needs to be provided by food, supplements or applied topically on the skin. In skincare products, niacinamide can be used both, morning and evening and has a lot of skin health benefits. Here are some of the most important properties of this powerful antioxidant in skincare formulations:
- Reduces redness – studies show that niacinamide can significantly improve blotchy, red skin and is beneficial for people with eczema, rosacea, and other inflammatory conditions.
- Fades hyperpigmentation – with regular use, niacinamide can be helpful in brightening dark spots and even melasma.
- Fights environmental damage – niacinamide protects from free radicals and prevents oxidative stress, caused by environmental aggressors.
- Visibly minimises enlarged pores – prevents pores from getting clogged which can result in bumpy skin and stretched pores, while helping pores return to their usual size.
- Softens fines lines and wrinkles and improves skin texture – niacinamide increases collagen production in the dermis and leaves the skin looking more plump and supple.
- Aids skin’s natural barrier function and boosts hydration – niacinamide reduces transepidermal water loss and increases the moisture content in the outermost layer of the skin. The result is a restored barrier function.
- Regulates oil production – decreases sebum production without being drying like some other actives.
- Treats acne – it helps even in cases with severe types of acne and especially inflammatory forms like papules and pustules, as it improves skin texture over time and reduces lesions.
Niacinamide in skincare products
Usually, niacinamide comes in the form of lightweight serums suitable for every skin type and concern.
Our Vitamin B3 Serum has a concentration of 10% niacinamide for a powerful anti-inflammatory effect. It brightens the skin and helps reduce pigmentation while leaving the skin feeling soothed and hydrated. If you are prone to breakouts, add Vitamin A and try our Vitamin A 0.5% and B to supercharge your skin!
Niacinamide is also one of the key ingredients in our sun protection range. The Science Skincare Hydra UV Protect is a nourishing cream that guards the skin against premature ageing. It provides skin repair, rejuvenation, and protection by creating a physical barrier to shield you from the damaging UV rays.
From its soothing and healing properties to reducing the signs of ageing and protecting the skin from environmental damage, niacinamide is truly one of the most exciting skincare ingredients. It is a real multi-tasking skin booster, backed by science and you can easily incorporate it into your daily routine without being afraid of adverse reactions.